The Statement of Investor Rights was developed by CFA Institute to advise buyers of financial service products of the conduct they are entitled to expect from financial service providers.
Investors: Present the Statement to your financial professionals, whether you are establishing an investment plan, working with a broker, opening a bank account, or buying a home.
Financial Professionals: Support the Statement and provide it to your clients to show that you are committed to fundamental ethical principles. Let your clients know that they can trust you to provide the service they expect and deserve.
STATEMENT OF INVESTOR RIGHTS
WHEN ENGAGING THE SERVICES OF FINANCIAL PROFESSIONALS AND ORGANIZATIONS, I HAVE THE RIGHT TO...
- Honest, competent, and ethical conduct that complies with applicable law;
- Independent and objective advice and assistance based on informed analysis, prudent judgment, and diligent effort;
- My financial interests taking precedence over those of the professional and the organization;
- Fair treatment with respect to other clients;
- Disclosure of any existing or potential conflicts of interest in providing products or services to me;
- Understanding of my circumstances, so that any advice provided is suitable and based on my financial objectives and constraints;
- Clear, accurate, complete and timely communications that use plain language and are presented in a format that conveys the information effectively;
- An explanation of all fees and costs charged to me, and information showing these expenses to be fair and reasonable;
- Confidentially of my information;
- Appropriate and complete records to support the work done on my behalf.