CFA Society Ireland currently has 270 members. There are three membership categories - Regular, Affiliate and Local. Annually we typically have over 500 candidates in the CFA Program, many of whom join the membership as they near completion of Level III. Membership of the society is open to any individual who can prove four years relevant work experience in the investment decision making process. Enrolment in, and completion of, the CFA exam program is not a requirement of membership, and we actively encourage Irish investment professionals to join the society.
The society is formally a company limited by guarantee, managed by its Council which operates as a board.
The objectives of the Society are :
- To achieve, foster and maintain high standards of professional ability and practice in investment analysis, portfolio management and related disciplines in Ireland,
- To encourage the creation and interchange of ideas and information among those engaged in these activities,
- To advance public understanding of their functions and techniques and the operation of security and other investment markets,
- To support and promote the interests of the investment community,
- To encourage and assist the study of investment analysis and any other subjects of interest to the profession.
The professional-level qualification, the Associateship of the Society is no longer available due to the switch to the CFA Institute Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation back in 2002. Education policy recently has focused strongly on organising a course and trainer for the CFA designation. An education sub-committee analysed the services of a number of training companies. Kaplan FTC was chosen as the preferred partner on the basis of its ability to deliver a course in Dublin and its alliance with Schweser, the premier supplier of educational text for the CFA designation.
Over recent months the society has gained recognition and exemptions from the QFA Board for holders of the Certificate in Investment Management (CIM) for those members operating in the retail market. Members holding the associate designation (AMSIA) also benefit from this approval process with the QFA Board.
The Society also looks to host two social functions each year to enable members to network in a more relaxed environment.