【CFA Japan Seminar Announcement】
Title: The Big Issues Confronting the Global Economy
Date: 11th May, 2017 (Thursday), 19:00-20:30
Venue: Room1-2, FINE TOKYO, 5th Floor, South Tower, Otemachi Financial City, 1-9-7 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
(For those who take the subways to come: From Tokyo Metro Otemachi Station, please use the passageway directly connecting to the first basement floor of the building. Then take the South Elevator from the first basement floor or the first floor to the fifth floor.
For those who come from the surface street: Please enter the SouthTower, Otemachi Financial City from FINE TOKYO Entrance that is across the street of Sankei Building. Then take the South Elevator from the first floor to the fifth floor.)
Specialty Focus Areas: Economics (CE Credit eligible)
Speaker: Dr. Paul Sheard (Executive Vice President and Chief Economist, S&P Global)
Fee: CFA Japan Members, Special Candidate Members：Free,
Candidate Non Members: JPY 2,000, Non-members: JPY 3,000
- What to make of the Trump administration and implications for the US economic outlook and Federal Reserve policy;
- Brexit and the implications for the future of the EU, including discussion of the White Paper on the Future of Europe, put out by the European Commission at the beginning of March;
- Assessment of the BOJ's "QQE with Yield Curve Control" policy framework eight months on and the outlook and reflation prospects for the Japanese economy longer term; the scorecard for Abenomics;
- China's economic outlook and major downside risks/scenarios: what are the lessons for China from Japan?;
- Other topics: lessons from the aftermath of the Global Financial Crisis for the future of macroeconomic policy frameworks; How to think about QE and the exit strategy; Secular stagnation and the productivity puzzle.
Dr. Paul Sheard, Executive Vice President and Chief Economist, S&P Global
Paul Sheard is Executive Vice President and Chief Economist of S&P Global. He spearheads the company's economic and market thought-leadership and engages with a broad range of market participants and external stakeholders. Teams led by Dr. Sheard provide the macroeconomic forecasts and macro-credit views used by S&P Global's analysts during the ratings process, conduct fixed income research, and foster cross-divisional research collaboration. Dr. Sheard chairs S&P Global's Academic Council and he helps to oversee the S&P Global Institute. He is also a member of S&P Global Ratings' Executive Committee.
Previously, Dr. Sheard held chief economist positions at Nomura Securities and at Lehman Brothers and earlier he had been Head of Japan Equity Investments and Japan Strategist at Baring Asset Management in Tokyo.
Dr. Sheard speaks regularly at major conferences around the world and his views are frequently quoted in the international media. He was a member of the World Economic Forum Global Agenda Council on the International Monetary System in 2010-12 and is a member of the Bretton Woods Committee and of the Economic Club of New York.
Earlier in his career, Dr. Sheard was on the faculty at the Australian National University (ANU) and at Osaka University, and was a visiting researcher at Stanford University and at the Bank of Japan. Author or editor of several books and numerous articles on the Japanese economy, Dr. Sheard won the Suntory- Gakugei Prize in the Economics–Politics Division for his book, The Crisis of Main Bank Capitalism.
Dr. Sheard received his bachelor's degree from Monash University in Australia and a master's degree in Economics and a Ph.D. from the ANU.