Four years of experience in activities that consist to a majority extent of:
- evaluating or applying financial, economic, and/or statistical data as part of the investment decision making process involving securities or similar investments, which includes, but is not limited to, publicly traded and privately placed stocks, bonds, and mortgages and their derivatives; commodity based derivatives and mutual funds; and other investment assets, such as real estate and commodities, if these other investment assets are held as part of a diversified, securities-oriented investment portfolio; or
- supervising, directly or indirectly, persons who practice such activities; or
- teaching such activities.
An applicant must spend 50% or more of his/her time either:
Work experience is reviewed for all applicants.
- Directly involved in the investment decision-making process; or
- Engaged in responsibilities and/or producing a work product that informs or adds value to that process
- In defining acceptable work experience, “to a majority extent” may be translated as “50% or more” of the applicant’s work time.
- The applicant does not have to be employed at the time of their application.
- Acceptable work experience may be accrued in full-time, paid positions only.
- Sample job titles which applicants may use as a guide are available on the CFA Institute website.