One of the best ways to optimize your membership with CFA Society Hartford is to volunteer. Volunteering heightens your visibility and puts you in contact with other professionals in the industry. There are many levels of volunteer activity, so take your time evaluating how you would like to get involved and then get started by following the simple steps below;
- Read through the descriptions below to find any open positions that interest you
- Send the name of one or more positions that interest you to [email protected]. Don't forget to join the CFA Society Hartford (if you are a CFA, join on the CFA Institute website.
Associate & Student Membership Application
- Participate in a short training session to orientate you to the position.
- Actively engage with your committee or initiative. Network, learn, and have fun!
Initiatives & Volunteer Needs
INITIATIVE: CFA Society Hartford 5K Race
Seeking volunteers for the CFA Society Hartford 5K Race in Hartford in August.
[email protected] for more information
INITIATIVE: CFA Institute Research Challenge
The CFA Society Hartford hosts a local competition as part of the annual CFA Institute Global Research Challenge (The Research Challenge) in association with the CFA Society Providence and the CFA Society Stamford. The Research Challenge is an investment competition among university students at the graduate and undergraduate level. One team of three to five students per university is challenged to conduct an equity analysis of a public company, specified by the CFA Society Hartford. Two teams per university may be allowed at the discretion of the CFA Society of Hartford. Each team is required to prepare a written analysis and finalists will conduct a 10 minute oral presentation for a panel of judges. The students' work is judged by industry professionals. Each team may be provided one faculty adviser that is selected by the team's university. The adviser will be the team's point of contact with the CFA Society Hartford. Winning local teams will have the opportunity to move on to the regional competitions.
To view information on the CFA Institute Research Challenges:
2017 Research Challenge
2019 Research Challenge
2020 Research Challenge
2021 Research Challenge
2022 Research Challenge
The CFA Institute Research Challenge requires a large number of VOLUNTEERS.
Volunteer positions include the following:
- Industry Mentors: The primary responsibility of the Industry Mentor is to impart a "real-world" industry perspective into the students' theoretical knowledge base. Each Industry Mentor will review an assigned team's written work and presentation and provide commentary. Industry Mentors should have at least five years of experience in a position focusing on company analysis and CFA Charterholders are preferred. It is not necessary to have experience in a specific sector. The allowed time commitment under the competition rules is a maximum of six hours including any phone calls, emails, in-person meetings, and any additional contact. An additional two hours is allowed for each local, regional or global final.
- Report Graders: The Report Graders work remotely by reviewing the reports submitted by the student teams. The reports are reviewed and scored by the Graders according to a predetermined point system and Graders also provide written feedback. Graders should have at least five years of experience preparing or reading equity research along with a strong understanding of the financial markets and investment process. CFA Charterholders are preferred. The total expected time commitment is approximately eight to sixteen hours in early to mid-February.
- Presentation Judges: Judges view the student presentations. In this role, they wear the cap of a buy-side analyst or a Director of Research listening to and critiquing a member of his/her team. Judges should have at least five years of experience preparing or reading equity research along with a strong understanding of the financial markets and investment process. CFA Charterholders are preferred. The time commitment will be for two to three hours on the day of the local final competition.
- Research Volunteers: Other volunteer opportunities will be available that do not require a CFA charter or significant industry experience. These opportunities may include assisting at various events as well as working on logistics.
- Additional detail regarding each of the above volunteer positions is available on the CFA Hartford website by following this link: (View Research Challenge Page) Additional documents posted on the CFA Society Hartford website include: Official Rules; Factsheet; and timeline.
Interested volunteers should contact: Board Member: Email Vice President Education
INITIATIVE: Annual Forecast Dinner