CFA Society Nebraska was proud to present the 2017 Junior Achievement Stock Market Challenge on November 14th at the Nebraska Innovation Campus. The competition welcomed over 450 high school students from JA of Lincoln's 12-county territory. Those students got a taste of real stock market action as they traded throughout a simulated day on the market floor to compete for prizes. The event was provided free to students thanks to our generous corporate friends who sponsored high school teams for $250 each. The JA Stock Market Challenge also included an evening corporate event with local businesses sponsoring teams of four adults. Check out the event page on Facebook!
- Teams are issued $1,000,000 in mock stock to invest in 26 fictitious companies.
- Each trading day lasts just ninety seconds - thus two months of trading are condensed into an exciting two hours.
- On-site traders with PDAs make buying and selling instantaneous, so trading is fast, furious and fun.
- Periodic news releases and "hot tips" reflect fictitious world events and industry developments, which in turn cause stock prices to fluctuate.
- Participants must be on their toes, constantly reacting to the market's ups and downs. The frenetic atmosphere ensures urgent and intense action to simulate a real trading floor, thus guaranteeing a "Wall Street" style learning experience the students will never forget.
2017 Results: The high school first and second place for the morning event went to two Lincoln Southwest teams, and for the afternoon first went to Lincoln Southwest and second went to Lincoln Christian School. Congratulations to the 108 student teams who competed in the event this year! CFA Society Nebraska was also proud to win the largest net worth in the JA Stock Market coporporate event.