Emerging markets equity have underperformed developed markets equity since the Global Financial Crisis. To make matters worse, the outbreak of Covid-19 can have a serious impact on these countries, which on average have weak health and monitoring systems, nor the means to support its population, its businesses thru a period of economic standstill and currencies declining.
In this webinar we look at the consequences of Covid-19 for emerging markets. Furthermore, we provide our bottom-up perspective on the ability of emerging markets companies to navigate this complex environment.
Questions that will be addressed, include:
• What are the reasons behind the lacklustre performance of Emerging Markets Equity this past decade?
• To what degree is COVID-19 the climax in a trend towards de-globalisation?
• Does North Asia provide a potential blue-print for the evolution of the infection and the economic reaction?
• What is the outlook for EPS growth for the broad market?
• Why should an investor continue to allocate to this asset class?
Comgest is an independent, international asset management group which, since its creation in 1985, has pursued a long-term ‘Quality Growth’ and responsible investment style. We dare to be different, and aum manage about EUR 30 billion in equity portfolios, half of which is invested in emerging markets.
Nicholas Morse is an Analyst and Portfolio Manager within Comgest’s Emerging Markets team. With 30 years of investment experience, principally in Global Emerging Markets, Nicholas contributes widely to the team’s research coverage for a diverse selection of quality growth stocks across multiple sectors. He has worked as a Latin America specialist at multiple firms, before joining Comgest Nicholas spent ten years at Schroders Investment Management.
Lodewijk van der Kroft is managing director at Comgest Benelux. He has 25 years of experience in the asset management industry and joined Comgest in 2008. He serves on the board of various endowments.