Please join the CFA Society Ottawa for a luncheon presentation by global investment management firm GMO. The presentation will:
- Review GMO's current forecasts, which paint a challenging picture, given historically high equity valuations and historically low bond yields.
- Put GMO forecasts into historical perspective, showing how GMO has used a valuation-driven capital market "slopes" line through time.
- Focus on today's capital market slope line, which has been called a "beta desert" and ask what does one do in a "beta desert"? Lean on Alpha a bit more than usual!
- Discuss why GMO has allocated more capital to Alternatives (or Alpha-driven strategies) than ever before in the fifteen year history of our flagship strategy.
- Describe what GMO owns and why. And explain what is it about alternatives, generally speaking, that fit with today's risk environment.
Speaker: Peter Chiappinelli, CFA, CAIA, Portfolio Strategist, GMO
GMO is a global investment management firm with a client base comprised primarily of institutions, including corporate and public defined benefit and defined contribution retirement plans, endowments, foundations, and financial intermediaries. Mr. Chiappinelli is a member of GMO's Asset Allocation team. Prior to joining GMO in 2010, he was an institutional portfolio manager in the asset allocation group at Pyramis Global Advisors. Previously, he was the director of institutional investment strategy and research at Putnam Investments. Mr. Chiappinelli earned his MBA from The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania and his B.A. from Carleton College. He is a CAIA charterholder, and is the founder of the CAIA Boston chapter. He is a CFA charterholder.
Date: December 15, 2016
Place: Rideau Club, 99 Bank Street, 15th floor
Time: 11:45 Registration
12:00 Lunch starts
Click here to register.
Registration deadline is Friday December 9, 2016.
Dress: Business dress (jacket and tie required).
Program Chair, CFA Society Ottawa
Wesley Blight, CFA
CFA President, CFA Society Ottawa