CFA Society Ottawa is partnering with The Marquee Group to offer financial modeling training courses in 2017. The Marquee Group's training mission is to ensure that everyone preparing financial models has the skills to do so in the most efficient and effective way possible. Professionals trained by Marquee provide their companies with greater financial insight and more accurate decision-making tools.
Session 1: Monday, February 27 and Tuesday, February 28th
Session 2: Wednesday, March 1st
Sessions will run from 8:30AM to 4:30PM each day.
Ottawa Conference and Event Centre
200 COVENTRY RD. – ROOM 212
OTTAWA, K1K 4S3, CANADA
$550 per day for members/candidates/students
$650 per day for non-members
Space is limited, please register early! Participates are invited to register for one or both sessions.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
Financial Modeling (2 Day Course)
Day 1 – Building a Financial Model
This hands-on course focuses on the skills required to design and create an interactive financial model of a company that adheres to the highest industry standards.
The course material includes model design, logic, construction, financial concepts and accounting treatment. Various intermediate Excel tools along with helpful keyboard shortcuts will also be covered throughout the day.
- Design and layout a financial model clearly and logically
- Develop useful inputs and assumptions schedules
- Use switches to create effective scenarios and value drivers
- Forecast and build-up a company's revenues and expenses
- Design and incorporate a company's income statement, balance sheet
and cash flow statement
- Construct all necessary schedules, including:
- Depreciation / CAPEX, Working Capital, Income Tax, Debt and Interest, Shareholders' Equity
- Use Lookup functions within the model to effectively extract information
- Properly incorporate Senior Term Debt with an amortizing repayment schedule
- Create a robust Bank Operating Line (Revolving Credit Facility)
- Design and incorporate a cash sweep for a company's Revolver
- Balance the company's balance sheet
- Rid a model of undesirable error messages
Day 2 – Valuation Analysis
This hands-on course is focused on the practical implementation of a Discounted Cash Flow ("DCF") analysis. The skills required to build a DCF analysis will be discussed and incorporated into a financial model. Participants will learn to recognize and avoid the most common errors that finance professionals make when creating a DCF analysis.
- Discuss various valuation methodologies and the appropriateness of using a discounted
cash flow methodology to value a business
- Properly calculate a company's levered or unlevered free cash flows
- Build a terminal year in the model to create a steady-state perpetual cash flow
- Calculate the tax impact of unlevering a company's cash flows
- Use two common styles to create a discounted cash flow analysis
- Calculate the company's cost of capital and choose an appropriate weighted average
cost of capital (WACC) range
- Discount the cash flows in the forecast period and ensure that the cash flows are
discounted to the correct period
- Discuss various methodologies to value the terminal period
- Discuss common discounting errors and review the magnitude of discounting the cash
flows to the wrong time period
- Use a number of powerful Excel tools to sensitize the outputs
- Incorporate appropriate credit ratios that impact a company's covenants
- Create "flags" to warn the user when a covenant has been tripped
- Conditionally format output tables to highlight specific results
Advanced Data Manipulation with Excel (1 Day Course)
Day 3 – Advanced Data Manipulation using Excel
This hands-on course is an intensive program that will transform participants into Excel "Power Users". The course is focused on the pertinent Excel tools that are required in a business environment to efficiently analyze and manipulate data and to create compelling financial analysis.
The course covers intermediate and advanced level Excel topics. As such, participants should have a good working knowledge of Excel prior to taking this course. Assignments, handouts and examples will be used throughout the day.
- Use numerous built-in Excel functions to interpret and manipulate data
- Use various filters in conjunction with specific arithmetic functions to summarize large volumes of data
- Learn to use many features of the Advanced Filter, one of the most helpful and least utilized tools in Excel
- Use a variety of intermediate and advanced Lookup functions to efficiently extract specific information
- Learn multiple uses of the Lookup and Offset functions, including ways to automate these functions
- Create nested formulas to expand the flexibility of various functions
- Use powerful Text functions to manipulate non-numeric variables
- Convert non-recognizable values into useable numbers with the use of Text functions
- Learn to use some of the most effective and lesser known Pivot Table features
- Use advanced conditional formatting tools to enhance the caliber of analytical output
- Incorporate widely used financial and arithmetic functions
- Use logical functions to create complex formulas
- Learn numerous other tips, tricks and keyboard shortcuts to increase efficiency
Participants will be required to bring their own laptops with Microsoft Excel installed