1) Regular Membership Requirements
This membership type is required for CFA charterholders and recommended for non-charterholding, experienced investment professionals and seasoned academics. Regular members of CFAP have the right to hold office on the Board of Directors, act as a sponsor for membership and to vote for board members as part of the annual proxy.
Qualifications for regular membership:
- Hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution or have equivalent work experience;
- Passed Level I of the CFA® exam or passed CFA Institute's Self-Administered Standards of Practice Examination. Click here to access the exam;
- Have 48 months of acceptable professional work experience in the investment decision-making process.
- Submit professional references. Click here to view the reference requirements.
- Agree to adhere to and sign the Member's Agreement, a Professional Conduct Statement, and any additional documentation requested by CFA Institute.
Annual dues for a Regular member of CFAP are $125.00.
Click here to apply for Regular membership.
2) Affiliate Membership Requirements
This membership type is recommended for CFA candidates who do not have sufficient work experience to become Regular members, Affiliate membership is also suitable for non-charterholding professionals and academics in the early stage of their careers who would like to join BOTH the Philadelphia Society AND the CFA Institute.
Successfully pass the CFA Institute Self-Administered Standards of Practice Examination OR passed CFA Level I.
- Have 12 months of acceptable professional work experience
- Agree to adhere to and sign the Member's Agreement, a Professional Conduct Statement, and any additional documentation requested by CFA Institute
- Submit two reference forms. Click to view the reference requirements.
Once an applicant is approved for Affiliate membership by CFAP, the applicant will automatically become an Affiliate member of CFA Institute. CFA Institute Affiliate members receive the same benefits as Regular members of CFA Institute, but do not have voting rights. CFAP Affiliate members receive the same benefits as Regular members of CFAP, except the right to hold office, act as a sponsor for membership and vote.
Annual dues for an Affiliate member of CFAP are $125.00 in addition to dues to CFA Institute. Visit the CFA Institute website to apply online.
3) Retired Membership Requirements
To qualify as a Retired member of CFAP and CFA Institute, an applicant must meet ALL OF THE CRITERIA listed below:
- Be a Regular or Affiliate member of CFAP and CFA Institute at the time of application.
- Have been a member for 5 years.
- No longer be substantially engaged in Financial Analysis* for compensation.
- Agree to the following:
- Notify CFA Institute if retirement status changes;
- Be listed as "Retired" in the CFA Institute Membership Directory;
- Waive the right to be guaranteed a transfer of membership to another CFA Institute member society.
Annual dues for a Retired member of CFAP are $25.