8 October 2018 (Module 1) : Advanced Financial Modeling- Core Model
FTS Programme code : P180116KKC; 7 CPD and CE hours
Build a fully integrated financial statement projection model with income statement projections, a self-balancing balance sheet, an automated cash flow statement, and the balancing cash flow sweep/debt schedule. While knowledge of advanced accounting concepts is not required for this course, you should possess knowledge of basic accounting ratios and a basic understanding of how the major financial statements are inter-related. Emphasis is placed on the integration of the major financial statements and becoming experts in Excel. Incorporate different methodologies to forecasting the different types of assets on the balance sheet and compare and contrast with projecting liabilities. Learn how to balance a model utilizing the debt sweep and the revolver and not using any “plugs”. Appreciate the danger of and properly control for circular references. Avoid messy nested “if” statements!! You will leave the classroom with a fully constructed model that can be customized and applied to other companies. The final model is a fully scalable model that can be added upon
- Build an integrated set of financials, including IS, BS & CF statements
- Learn how to balance a model utilizing debt sweep and no “plugs”
- Become super-efficient in Excel through intensive use of keyboard shortcuts
- Intensive focus on correct financial modeling approaches & best practices
5-year Financial Statement Projection Model:
- How do you project an IS from revenues and expenses down to Net Income?
- What are the different methodologies to forecasting the different types of assets on the balance sheet and how do they compare and contrast with projecting liabilities
- How do you project the shareholders’ equity account
- What is the importance of financial ratios in building the balance sheet projections?
- How do you approach building an integrated cash flow statement?
- How do you build each component of the cash flow statement and why is cash the last item to project?
Integration and Balancing of Financial Model:
- Balance the model using the debt schedule and debt sweep logic – the most important analysis in terms of balancing the model!!
- How does the cash actually flow through the model
- Incorporate automatic debt payments and use cash generated to either pay down debt or build cash
- How does the revolver facility actually balance the model?
- Avoid messy nested “if” statements!!
- How does the BS and financial statements balance without the use of “plugs”?
- How are the financial statements integrated using the Interest schedule?
- What are circular references, why should they be avoided and how to get around circular references
Intermediate proficiency using Excel and a solid grasp of basic accounting fundamentals and the integration of financial statements are required
To maximize the educational value of this program, we strongly recommend that you have an intermediate understanding of Excel. Lack of basic Excel skills will impede your ability to effectively acquire and implement the techniques and shortcuts that are presented in this program.
Bring your PC laptop with a working USB slot and Microsoft Excel installed. Macs may not be as effective
Course fee :
CFA Society Singapore member :
S$880* per module (Early bird fee)
S$1,080* per module (Standard fee)
S$1,080* per module (Early bird fee)
S$1,280* per module (Standard fee)
*Price subject to 7% GST
* Early bird fee valid till 8 September 2018
(Course fee includes : Course materials, lunch & refreshments)
Requirement: Bring own PC Laptop for the workshop