Advanced Excel for Data Analysis
Course Goals & Overview:
This course focuses on how to effectively and efficiently utilize Microsoft Excel for data analysis. A financial analyst will not only use Excel to build financial models, but also to crunch a large data dump. Learn how to minimize as much manual labor as possible, thereby saving time and performing more detailed analysis quickly. Apply commonly-used formulas in new and different ways; uncover often over-looked Excel formulas; streamline number crunching and analysis via functions and tools including pivot tables, sumif, sum+if, transpose, working with arrays, vlook-up, subtotals, and regression analysis; enhance your spreadsheets with drop-down boxes, data validation techniques, automation of alternate row shading; take Excel to the next level with emphasis on automation.
- Learn how to minimize as much manual labor as possible in data analysis
- Learn to use the most overlooked Excel formulas that will make your life easier
- Learn powerful functions built in Excel that streamline your analysis
- Master Excel shortcuts via formatting & analytical exercises encompassing efficiencies, shortcuts & sensitivity analysis
- Data integrity techniques: understand how Excel implodes when you don’t maintain integrity of your raw data
- Learn different “switches alternatives” (if, choose, offset and toggles ) to build more robust analyses
- Understand why IF statements are the second root of all evil in Excel and why they should be avoided at all costs
- Learn data validation techniques to dummy proof your model and provide additional error checking in your analysis
- Add some spice to your Excel analysis and models using dropdowns and how to automate options and scenarios
- Automate alternate row shading in a table of data using complex conditional formatting
- Fully automate vlookup to streamline tedious analysis while understanding the limitations of vlookup
- Understand why OFFSET(MATCH) is vastly superior to vlookup and why we discourage use of INDEX function
- Pivot Tables and Pivots on Steroids: summarize and dissect large amounts of data as well as calculated fields
- Truly unlock the full power of Excel by utilizing ARRAYS simplify complex calculations
- Learn how to use the transpose array function without static copy paste special transpose as values
Please Note: Participants will need to bring a laptop with them to the course.
Ted Michaels, CFA
Instructor, Wall Street Training
Ted Michaels has a broad background with the financing and operation of businesses, with a particular emphasis on education, real estate, and special situations investing. His professional experience covers a wide variety of investments, including private equity and healthcare/biotechnology venture capital. As a Vice President at Wall Street Training & Advisory, Ted has led and assisted instruction on a wide variety of topics ranging from corporate valuation to merger & acquisition deal structuring and leveraged buyouts. His credentials include Series 7, 66, and 79 licenses, and passing all sections of both the CPA and CFA examinations.