It's never too soon to start on your path to a career in investment management.
Starting in high school, if available, take courses in accounting, finance, computers and computer applications, economics, and statistics, as well as mathematics and learning to communicate, both verbally and written.
Women now represent the majority of students on Canadian campuses and in 2018 earned 57.34% of all bachelor degrees awarded, meaning that 134 women graduate for every 100 men. This ratio is mirrored in the admission rates in business, management, and public administration programs. However, when it comes to students designating their major, women remain highly underrepresented in the finance stream. Finance needs more women.
For information on the path to earning your CFA® charter, go to the
CFA Institute website.
Populating the Pipeline
While university classrooms and campuses are populated with more women than men, the choice of finance majors remains the domain of male graduates.
CFA Institute's Women in Investment Management initiative works to encourage diversity in the profession and to empower women to seek careers in traditionally male-dominated professions.
There is a world of career opportunities for women with degrees in commerce, finance, math, or economics combined with a CFA® designation. The outlook for these graduates, particularly women, has never been better.
The higher the number of women working in the financial sector in senior roles; the better the opportunity for the industry to improve gender parity and diversity and better reflect the world around them.
The CFA® credential is the gold standard in the global financial industry and the yardstick by which the competence and integrity of all portfolio and investment analysis experts are measured. That's because there's no credential as globally recognized for industry knowledge, analytical skill and ethical standards as a CFA designation.
Why pursue the CFA® Charter Designation
- CFA Institute has a network of over 135,000 professionals across the globe and is the professional standard of choice for more than 31,000 firms worldwide.
- A CFA® Charter is accepted globally, with no upgrading or equivalency required.
- Universities, regulators, and certification programs in more than 30 countries and territories recognize it.
- Worldwide career opportunities for jobs that require CFA® charter.
- Access to a global network of career professionals and resources.
- Analytical skills and expertise gained during the CFA® program are in demand around the world.