CFA Institute's history is one of bold, brave men and women who had a vision and the backbone to make our profession a reality. These trailblazers took personal responsibility at a time when financial analysis was not recognized or valued as a profession.
It all began on 11 June 1947, when four financial analyst societies – Boston, Chicago, New York, and Philadelphia – joined forces to form the National Federation of Financial Analysts Societies for the purpose of promoting the exchange of ideas and to support the welfare of the societies and their members.
These trailblazers created the CFA Program and established our code of conduct in 1962. In 1963, our profession was created when 284 candidates sat for the first CFA exam and 268 charters were awarded by the Institute of Chartered Financial Analysts in the first year.
The name was later shortened to the Financial Analysts Federation, or FAF, and in 1990, the FAF merged with the ICFA to form AIMR, which is now CFA Institute.
CFA Institute has more than 130,000 members in 150 countries and territories, including more than 120,000 CFA charterholders, as well as 144 affiliated societies in 69 countries and territories. CFA Institute has offices in Brussels, Hong Kong, London, New York, and Charlottesville.