Frequently Asked Questions
Most common questions can be answered from the list below. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (612) 930-4000.
What Kinds of Membership are Offered?
- Regular (dual) Membership through CFA Institute
- Affiliate (dual) Membership through CFA Institute
- Student membership with CFA Society Minnesota
- Local-Only membership with CFA Society Minnesota
Regular and Affiliate CFA Institute members are those who have been approved for membership with CFA Institute and have also selected CFA Society Minnesota as their local society.Local-Only and Student members of CFA Society Minnesota are those who do not yet have their charters, those who do not qualify for membership with CFA Institute, and/or those who want only to be members of the local society.
Which Membership Should I Apply For?
- If you have passed Level I and have your 48 months of work experience, you should apply online for dual Regular Membership through the CFA Institute website. Log into your account and select CFA Society Minnesota as your local society. This process gives you membership in both organizations. Start your online membership process.
- If you want to join CFA Institute before you have passed Level I and/or before you have your 48 months of work experience, you can join as a dual Affiliate Member of CFA Institute. Apply through the CFA Institute website, and then on your account select CFA Society Minnesota as your local society. This process gives you membership in both organizations.Start your online membership process.
- If you are a candidate who wants to just join CFA Society Minnesota, you should apply for Local-Only Membership. Read below for more information on starting your paper application membership process.
- If you are a university student or recent graduate, you should apply for Student Membership. This process gives you membership only in CFA Society Minnesota. Read below for more information on starting your paper application membership process.
- If you do not intend to become a CFA Charterholder, yet want to become a member of CFA Society Minnesota for professional & networking purposes, read below for more information on starting your Local-Only Membership application. This process gives you membership only in CFA Society Minnesota.
- If you are already a member of another society and wish to simultaneously be a member of CFA Society Minnesota, you may add CFA Society Minnesota as an additional society. You may make this request through your CFA Institute online account or call 800.247.8132.
How do I become a member of CFA Society Minnesota?
- If you are already a member of CFA Institute and want to add a local society: log into your account, select CFA Society Minnesota as your local society, apply online and pay annual dues.
- To apply for Local-Only or Student Membership in CFA Society Minnesota, please follow the three-step instructions on this webpage.
- You may make an appointment or call 612.317.2887 to go through the paperwork with a staff person and ask questions.
What is the role of a Reference?
Your reference(s) vouch for your current occupation, or for your status as a student. You can include the reference forms with your application packet, or your references can send the form directly to the CFA Minnesota office.
If you are referring an Applicant, CFA Candidate, or New Member to CFA Society Minnesota, please fill out your Reference Form and return it to the applicant to submit with the full application. If you have any questions about the requirements, please contact us.
What if I don't know anyone who can serve as a Reference?
Our office can assist you with meeting people. Please write to email@example.com
How Do I Renew my Student or Local-Only membership?
Invoices are sent via email each June and dues are renewed online at https://cfamn.site-ym.com/. Verify that you are still eligible for Local-Only or Student membership (see Membership Requirements or ask us).
How Do I Pay for my Student or Local-Only membership?
We accept payment by check (payable to CFA Society Minnesota) or by credit card.
How Do I Renew my Dual Membership (CFA Institute + Local Society)?
If you are a member of CFA Institute, you must renew your entire membership by logging into that account or by calling 800.247.8132.
What are the benefits of joining the Local Society? Benefits of Membership
What is the Self-Test for the Standards of Practice Handbook?
One of the submission requirements for the Local-Only and Student membership application process is to have “Proof of passing Level I or Self-Test for the Standards of Practice Handbook.” CFA Institute offers this ethics Self-Test as the alternative when an applicant has not yet passed Level I of the CFA Exam. Follow this link to find the Self-Test. Study the PDF of the Standards of Practice Handbook, 10th Edition. Click "Voluntary Self-Test" to take the exam. You may take the test as many times as necessary to pass. Upon completion of the self-test a certificate is issued showing your passing results. Print this results page and include it with your membership application.
Whom do I contact with questions?
For questions regarding your CFA Society Minnesota application or general questions about membership, please email Diane Senjem firstname.lastname@example.org or call (612) 930-4000.
May I belong to more than one society? Yes. See: Multiple Society Memberships
Do you have a mentoring program?
CFA Society Minnesota offers a Professional Mentoring Program that connects society members with industry veterans who can answer questions about the CFA program, the local Society, and specific areas of the finance industry. Mentors are available to Society Members who are new charterholders or who have passed the Level II Exam. Learn more here.
Where is the Society Member Directory? https://cfamn.site-ym.com/
How much are Local Society dues? For the 2020-21 Season:
How long does my membership last?
Each membership season runs from July 1 – June 30. Renewals are billed and collected each spring from April 1 – June 30. Dues are not prorated.
Where do I send my Student or Local-Only membership application?
CFA Society Minnesota
825 TCF Tower
121 South 8th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402
Or you may scan and email your application and supporting documents to Member Services & Communications Manager, Megan Millett, at email@example.com.