History of Mississippi Chapter
In the early 1980's there were a number of financial professionals in Mississippi who started dinner meetings under the leadership of Bill Whitney, CFA and others. Several of these CFAs were members of the New Orleans Financial Analyst Society. The Mississippi chapter of the Financial Analysts Federation was admitted as a chapter of the Financial Analysts Federation (FAF) in 1984 under the presidency of Walter P. Neely (chapter president from 1984-1986). In 1986, the Mississippi Chapter affiliated with the Memphis Society of Financial Analysts. The Mississippi Society of the Financial Analysts Federation achieved society status as the Mississippi Society of Financial Analysts as a member society of the newly renamed as the Association of Investment Management and Research (AIMR). In 2005 the CFA Institute succeeded the AIMR, and in 2015 our Society name was changed to the "CFA Society of Mississippi." In 2020 the Shreveport Chapter of the CFA Society Mississippi was formed.
History of Membership Growth
During the 80's membership included some FAF members and others attending from the professional community. In 1992, the Mississippi chapter had 26 AIMR members. In May of 1993, under the presidency of Patrick Farnsley, and with Walter Neely present at the annual meeting in San Diego, we were recognized as the Mississippi Society of the AIMR. We were approved as a full-fledged society with the then requirement of 35 members coming from a diversification of firms and majority of those members being CFA Charterholders. By 1999, the society had grown to 50 members. In 2013, the society had 60 members.
As of June 2020, the CFA Society Mississippi has a total of 82 active society members with 7 members from Shreveport.
Mission of CFA Society Mississippi
Our society is an association of local investment professionals. Consisting of portfolio managers, security analysts, investment advisors, and other financial professionals, our mission statement is as follows:
CFA Society Mississippi's mission is to advance the investment and financial communities through education, professionalism, and ethics in our region.
The purposes of our society are:
- to provide a professional society and network that meets and interacts together on a regular basis
- to provide educational and informative programs relevant to our members to increase our competence
- to foster a high standard of ethics and standards in our local community of investment professionals
- to promote participation in and the achievement of the Chartered Financial Analyst® designation
- to enhance awareness in our community of the Chartered Financial Analyst® designation as well as the CFA Society Mississippi and the unique qualities of the our members within the financial industry
As one of CFA Institute member societies, our society connects members to a global network of investment professionals.