CFA Institute Research Challenge®
The CFA Institute Research Challenge® is sponsored by CFA Institute and locally hosted by CFA Society Portugal. The CFA Institute Research Challenge is an educational initiative in which leading industry professionals teach business and finance students how to research and report on a publicly-traded company. This competition started in Portugal in 2015 as a means to promote best practices in research among the next generation of analysts.
The Research Challenge spans one academic year, and consists of the following components:
- Analysis of a Public Company: Teams research the same public company, selected by CFA Society Portugal, including an Investors Presentation and follow-up conference-call with the Company’s management.
- Mentoring by a Financial Market Professional who advises and critiques the team's report.
- Assessment of Written Reports: A group of volunteer professional analysts, grades and assess the written research reports.
- Presentation to Finance Experts: The experts choose the “final four” who have the strongest research to present their final report.
- Final Presentation to a Panel of Finance Experts: All teams present their research. The winning team is selected based on the combined scores for the written report and the presentation.
The winning team advances to the Research Challenge EMEA Regional Finals, the winner of which in turn advances to the Global Finals.