Join James Valentine from AnalystSolutions for an afternoon and learn how to:
- Prioritize 7 key tactics and 30 traditional equity research activities to support the goals necessary for becoming a top-performing analyst.
- Utilize best practices for scheduling, prioritizing and working more efficiently.
Most analysts' daily workflow prevents them from gaining an edge in generating alpha. Distractions such as an overfilled inbox, non-stop news alerts and too many unnecessary conference calls and meetings cause many analysts to lose their focus. The result can be following the herd for stock picks. Only by taking control of their day, can analysts create the time to develop a great out-of-consensus idea.
Strategic allocation of time is the best weapon in an analyst's arsenal. As discussed in the best-selling book Best Practices for Equity Research Analysts, after watching hundreds of buy-side and sell-side analysts perform their jobs over 15 years, one fact is clear: the top analysts play offense with their time while everyone else plays defense. They ignore most, if not all, of the typical distractions found in their role. This allows them the time to explore unique avenues that lead to great stock picks. AnalystSolutions provides a highly innovative approach to help analysts shift from researching defensively to researching offensively in order to improve stock picking success.
This Workshop Will Empower You To…
- Utilize an action plan created during the workshop to dominate your calendar with alpha-generating activities and minimize low-value activities
- Apply guidelines for assessing the appropriate amount of time to spend on equity research activities
- Differentiate between playing offense vs. defense in order to prioritize high and low value activities for generating alpha
- Apply best practices for delegating, automating, and outsourcing low-valued activities that are not likely to generate alpha.
- Identify the most typical disruptions and distracting behaviors for equity research analysts and utilize methods to eliminate them
JAMES VALENTINE, CFA
James Valentine, CFA, is the author of the top-selling book Best Practices for Equity Research Analysts and founder of AnalystSolutions. He began his career as an equity research analyst, where the major North American investor polls ranked him among the top three in his sector for ten consecutive years, and Forbes identified him as one of the top three among all 2,000 U.S. sell-side analysts.
Between the time as an analyst and founding AnalystSolutions, he held the role of Director of Training for Morgan Stanley's Global Research department where he implemented a new global training program for 500 analysts and associates. His passion is to help analysts improve performance which he does by conducting presentations and workshops for internationally-recognized conferences, buy-side and sell-side firms,
CFA Societies and universities with top finance programs.