|11/19/2019 6:00 PM||11/19/2019 8:00 PM|
You're invited to the Women's Investment Network's (WIN) monthly meeting. This event that is hosted every third Tuesday of the month in DC, and is a great opportunity to meet and network with other women in the investment industry in a relaxed social setting.
|11/19/2019 6:00 PM||11/19/2019 8:00 PM|
Member Organized Event
Join CFA candidates as we go through all levels of the CFA curriculum to earn our charters. Study together, and gain the accountability you need. Ask CFA Charterholder and Master Teacher Lewis Wilkins of TutoringByLewis.com about any CFA-related questions that arise, about the most effective study strategies, or about next steps in your career.
|11/21/2019 7:40 AM||11/21/2019 12:30 PM|
Career Management Conference: Strategies for Success
Sponsored by Women's Investment Network
Join us for the 2019 Career Management Strategies for Success Conference. This half-day event focuses on career advancement in the investment profession and provides relevant and timely strategies. We offer three separate tracks, each designed to provide you with information you can immediately apply: professional soft skills for success, career development skills, and women in finance. Choose the track that’s best for you or attend sessions in different tracks.
Come engage with seasoned speakers who will provide helpful tools so that you make the right moves at every stage of your career. Whether you are reaching a transition point and determining your next challenge or looking to improve on skills, this conference offers guidance and advice to take you to the next level.
- Learn the changing roles, skills and organizational cultures that affect the career path for investment professionals
- Learn what a personal brand is, why it matters and how to build one
- Develop a solid networking plan that will help you gain new connections and build business relationships
- Gain a thorough understanding of negotiation as a problem-solving process
- Understand and overcome challenges facing women in this industry
- Understand the science of social influence – fundamentals of persuasion
- Gain insight on the purpose of second and third round interviews and how to prepare
- Actionable strategies on how to start, build and grow a business
Who Should Attend
- Investment management professionals of all levels looking to advance their careers
- Managers wanting to understand how to diversify and improve their own corporate cultures
- Recruiters seeking to better understand the professional investment market
- Students considering a career in investment management
- Those looking to increase their professional set of soft skills
- Those wanting to stay current or sharpen their soft skills
- Those considering starting their own business in the financial services industry.
beverages, light snacks and lunch is included.
|11/23/2019 8:30 AM||11/23/2019 4:30 PM|
Schweser Mock CFA® Exam - Level 1
Now that you have prepared and practiced for the CFA® exam, you are ready to perform and put your skills and knowledge to the test. The Live Schweser Mock Exam is as close to the actual CFA exam in format, difficulty, and length as we can make it. The Mock Exam helps develop your test-taking skills, identify your weak areas, and demonstrate your mastery of the CFA curriculum. Afterward, view answer explanations, check your score compared to those of other candidates, and drill deeper into each question with our Mock Exam Tutorial.
The Live Schweser Mock Exam includes:
- Fully proctored and timed 6-hour exam (two 3-hour sessions)
- CFA Institute topic weightings
- Printed answer key and online answer explanations
- Online scoring and performance tracking with a comparison to other Mock Exam takers
- LOS and CFA curriculum page references for every question
- Included Mock Exam Tutorial
Simply click on any question you missed and get an audio and whiteboard explanation of the CFA curriculum material on which the question is based. With approximately 10 hours of targeted instruction at each level, this is the most effective way to fill in the gaps in your knowledge just prior to exam day.
For the real exam in December, CFA Institute requires an international travel passport from every candidate.
This policy applies to all new and returning candidates, and is strictly enforced. Please be sure to read the CFA program's identification policy here
|11/23/2019 12:00 PM||11/23/2019 5:00 PM|
Member Organized Event
Let’s venture out on an unforgettable experience touring Virginia’s wineries and reconnecting with fellow CFA Society members. We’ll spend an afternoon visiting two wineries and tasting a variety of wines. Pick-up and drop-off from six regular stops in D.C.. Light snacks, water, and tastings are included in the price of the tour.
Book your spot online at: www.spirited-tours.com
and use discount code SpiritedCFA
for a CFA Society discount $30 off the regular price valid only Saturday, November 23, 2019. *Book by November 15, 2019
**Must be over 21 years of age
|12/3/2019 4:00 PM||12/3/2019 6:00 PM|
A Cost of Doing Business Or a Fiduciary Breach?
As interest rates creep lower, banks, custodians and money managers are finding creative ways to generate revenue. Though it’s not a new practice, many are forcing cash into sweep bank accounts and paying a lower rate of return than offered by comparable money markets. A recent study pointed out that the average RIA held about 10% in cash on their book at any given time. If that cash is earning significantly less than it could be earning in a money market fund, what are the implications for your practice? Are there other options? Are they worth the time, effort and expense to execute them?
- Discuss the background of the industry practice of sweep account skimming
- Identify several approaches that different firms in the industry are taking to counteract this practice
- Talk about the long term implications of this practice and possible regulatory intervention scenarios
Senior Research Fellow at Mercatus Center, George Mason University
David Beckworth is a Senior Research Fellow at the Mercatus Center at George Mason University and a former international economist at the US Department of the Treasury. He is the author of Boom and Bust Banking: The Causes and Cures of the Great Recession. His research focuses on monetary policy, and his work has been cited by the Wall Street Journal, the Financial Times, the New York Times, Bloomberg Businessweek, and The Economist. He has advised congressional staffers on monetary policy and has written for Barron’s, Investor’s Business Daily, the New Republic, the Atlantic, and National Review. David is the author of the Macro Musings blog and also hosts the weekly Macro Musings podcast.
Principal; Director of Research; Advisor, Hopwood Financial Services
Kevin joined Hopwood Financial Services in 2015 and currently serves as both the Director of Research and as an Advisor. Kevin became a Principal at Hopwood Financial in 2019. Before joining Hopwood Financial, Kevin had served as a portfolio manager and in senior research analyst positions at a hedge fund, Plainview Capital and at a Registered Investment Advisor, West Capital Management. Kevin Galvin began his career as an investment banking analyst at Wachovia Securities in 2004.
Partner, New Potomac Partners, LLC
Mr. Olds has over fifteen years of experience in the investment industry and over twenty years of experience in the financial services industry. He was previously a portfolio manager at Johnston Lemon Asset Management. Mr. Olds is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania with a Bachelor of Arts in economics and a minor in mathematics. He is a Chartered Financial Analyst and a member of the CFA Society of Washington, D.C. Mr. Olds was born and raised in Portland, Oregon, but has resided in the Washington D.C. metro area since 2005.
|12/10/2019 9:00 AM||12/12/2019 5:00 PM|
Financial Valuation and Modeling Boot Camp
CFA Society Washington, DC is pleased to offer, in partnership with Wall Street Prep, one of Wall Street Prep's most popular courses to equip busy professionals and students with the financial skills they need on the job.
During this intensive 3-day training, participants will learn financial and valuation modeling in Excel using a hands-on, case-study approach. Modeling methodologies covered include financial statement modeling, valuation & DCF modeling and trading & transaction comps modeling. Instructors are all practitioners (investment bankers, equity research analysts, etc.) with a passion for teaching and years of directly relevant real-world experience.
What is included:
- Comprehensive training materials (manuals and online exercises)
- Detailed, reusable, modifiable Excel model templates
- Unlimited email support for content-related questions for 12-months post-seminar
- Access to additional online modules (crash course in Excel, M&A and LBO Modeling video lectures)
- Certification in Financial and Valuation in Modeling (upon successful completion of online Certification Exam)
- 27 CPE credits and 35 PD credit
- Wall Street Prep certification exam, upon successful completion of course and online modules
What is needed from you:
- Participants should have basic knowledge of Excel and solid financial accounting fundamentals
- Participants will need to bring with them to the course a laptop with Excel, version 2003 or higher
Senior Instructor, Wall Street Prep
Prior to joining Wall Street Prep, Jeff spent seven years in various Corporate Development functions and most recently led the international mergers and acquisitions team for Nabors Industries, a large oil-field services company. While working full-time, Jeff earned an MBA from the University of Houston and a BS from Texas A&M University. He is a CFA charterholder. Jeff has conducted seminars for a variety of corporate and banking clients and taught open enrollment courses all over the United States, as well as the Middle East. He has also taught at the following universities: Harvard Business School, Wharton, Columbia, MIT, Said Business School (Oxford), London Business School, Texas A&M, McGill, University of California-San Diego and University of California-Irvine, among many others.
|12/11/2019 6:00 PM||12/11/2019 8:00 PM|
2019 CFAW Holiday Party
The holiday season is upon us and what better way than to celebrate our last event of the year on Wednesday, December 11, 2019. Register and come join fellow CFA Society Washington, DC (CFAW) members for a festive celebration at the City Club of Washington, DC.
Be jolly, make good cheers and memories with old and new networks for the holiday party comes, but once a year.
This is a members only event and we look forward to seeing you there.