Welcome to CFAW's Volunteer Opportunities. This is where you can view current volunteer opportunities and see if there is something that fits your interests, expertise, and schedule. Here you will find short-term opportunities as well as CFAW's one-year term committee positions. You must be a current CFAW member to be a volunteer.
The Process is Easy!
First, peruse the list of positions in the "Current Volunteer Opportunities" list below. When you are ready to volunteer, complete and submit an Expression of Interest form which is found in the Volunteer Sign Up section of the Volunteer drop-down menu on the website.
Opportunities will be posted throughout the year, so check back often to learn about new volunteer opportunities!
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Event Operations (No limit on community members)
- Event Operations is a volunteer community of current members who have expressed an interest in helping to support CFAW's programs and events. These are short-term volunteer opportunities as they are specific to an individual program or event, typically an hour or two. Examples of activities include greeting and/or directing attendees, staffing the registration table, bag stuffing, etc. As these opportunities arise, they will be outlined and emailed to all members of this group throughout the program year. Volunteers will then be accepted on a first come, first served basis.
External Relations Committee - Committee Members (15 positions)
- Committee members attend quarterly meetings. Committee members should have an interest in community outreach to local universities and employers, and educating the community on the value of the CFA charter and CFAW. Members will be responsible for idea generation and aid in creating 3-4 goals for the committee to accomplish on an annual basis. The member should assist in progressing at least 1 of the annual goals toward completion. Committee members should plan to attend a minimum of four (4) in-person committee meetings throughout the program year.
Member Engagement Committee - Committee Members (up to 15 positions)
- Team Lead (1)
- Coordinate efforts among all Member Organized Event sub-committee members. Identify which efforts are generating enough interest from CFAW members and work with the team to try new ideas, expand on what works, and ensure that a diverse set of interests among CFAW members are served by Member Organized Events.
- Happy Hours (up to 3 positions)
- Organize monthly member-organized happy hours in DC, VA, and MD.
- Serve as membership ambassadors at official CFAW happy hours.
- CFA Exam Prep (up to 3 positions)
- Organize regular study sessions across all levels of the CFA exam.
- Other Member Organized Events (up to 3 positions)
- Organize other events for CFAW members such as sports-related gatherings (golf, running, tennis, etc.), a regular book club, volunteer opportunities, etc.
- Investment Selection Contest (up to 2 positions)
- Organize the annual investment selection contest, including determining the investment selection options, developing marketing messages for the contest, collecting participant data, analyzing contest results, and gathering feedback from participants to further the development of future contests.
- Mentorship Program (up to 3 positions)
- Work on the development of a CFAW mentorship program, including establishing the guidelines and framework for an ongoing program, identifying industry professionals who are interested in mentoring up-and-coming professionals, organizing regular events for mentors and mentees, etc.
Programs & Education Committee - Committee Members (up to 24 positions)
- Mock Exam Proctors - (6-8 positions)
These positions are needed to staff six – eight, 4 hour proctor sessions, usually on two consecutive Saturdays, either 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 P.M. or 1:00 P.M. to 5:00 P.M. The Kaplan/Schweser and CFA Society and Boston Mock Exams are usually in mid-November (4 proctor slots) and mid-May or early June (4 proctor slots) each year. Proctors should be a CFA charterholder and will register candidates as they arrive, pass out exams and generally keep the atmosphere as close to real test conditions as possible. Mock Examinations are usually held at local universities. Volunteers can take anywhere from 1-4 slots. Total time commitment is 5 hours per slot. This is a great volunteer opportunity for a first timer (there will be proper training and instructions from experienced proctors) and you can do as little (1 slot) or as much as you can (multiple slots).
- Sub-Committee Leads - (3-7 positions depending upon the level of volunteer interest)
The Sub-Committee Leads should be CFA Charterholders and are expected to serve on the Program & Education Committee as a whole, which will provide guidance and coordination to the other Sub-Committee Leads and the CFAW staff in planning the various Events as appropriate. Each Sub-Committee Lead will be responsible for organizing 1-2 events per program year on their topic to meet the needs of CFAW members with the same interests, as well as attending 3-5 Program & Education Committee meetings (either in person or via teleconference). The Sub-Committee Lead will also be responsible for scheduling periodic meetings on an as needed basis with their sub-committee volunteers to ensure that the 1-2 events under their purview go smoothly and that there is a constant pipeline of new volunteers ready to step-up. The total time commitment is likely to be approximately 3 hours per month or approximately 36 hours per year. The Program & Education Committee requires Sub-Committee Leads for the following topics:
- Registered Investment Advisor - (RIA) Sub-Committee Lead (1 position)
- Alternative Investments Sub-Committee Lead (1 position)
- Alternative Investments include private equity, commodities, hedge funds, and collectables (including art).
- Real Estate (although some group as Alternative for Event planning we will have a separate Sub-Committee)
- Career Development Sub-Committee Lead (1 position)
- Major Events Sub-Committee (1 Position) which will focus on Annual Dinner and any Special ½ Day or Day Events (i.e. Investor Day)
- Special Events Sub-Committee (1 Position) which will focus on mostly successful re-occurring events such as (Charter Recognition Ceremony, Asset Allocation Panel, Economic Outlook, Energy Event, etc.)
- Sub-Committee Volunteers - (12 positions)
Each of the above 3-7 likely Sub-Committees will each require up to 4 Sub-Committee Volunteers.
Sub-Committee Volunteers do not need to be CFA Charterholders but must be members or candidate/student members of the CFAW. Volunteers will assist the Sub-Committee Lead in coordinating and getting speakers, possibly serving as moderators for panel discussions, and making sure the sub-committee generates 1-2 events per year that meet the needs of CFAW members. The total time commitment ranges from a minimum of 4 hours per year but likely could be up to 20 hours per year depending upon your level of interest. Volunteers will be able to attend any event that the Sub-Committee Lead indicates that they have actively participated in for Free.